This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient is receiving spironolactone (Aldactone). The nurse has completed dietary education and ... (Read 57 times)

javeds

The patient is receiving spironolactone (Aldactone). The nurse has completed dietary education and evaluates that the patient needs additional education when the patient makes which statement?

1. I am really happy that I can have my cranberry juice.
  2. Thank goodness I can still have my orange juice and bananas for breakfast.
  3. I need an apple a day to stay regular; I'm glad I can still have this.
  4. I am German, so I could not give up my cabbage and mushrooms.

Question 2

The elderly patient is receiving chlorothiazide (Diuril). What does the best teaching by the nurse include with this medication?

1. Take the medication early in the morning.
  2. Avoid foods that are high in potassium.
  3. It is alright to have a glass of wine with this medication.
  4. Take the medication on an empty stomach.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

brittrenee

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2
Rationale: Orange juice and bananas are high in potassium, and are contraindicated with a potassium-sparing diuretic. Cranberries are low in potassium and are not contraindicated with a potassium-sparing diuretic. Cabbage and mushrooms are low in potassium and are not contraindicated with a potassium-sparing diuretic. Apples are low in potassium and are not contraindicated with a potassium-sparing diuretic.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale: Elderly patients should take diuretics early in the morning to avoid nocturia. Absorption of chlorothiazide (Diuril) is decreased when taken on an empty stomach. Chlorothiazide (Diuril) is a potassium excreting drug and foods high in potassium should be encouraged. Alcohol can potentiate the hypotensive effects of chlorothiazide (Diuril) and should be avoided, especially in the elderly.

javeds

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

6ana001

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The FDA recognizes 118 routes of administration.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

Barbituric acid, the base material of barbiturates, was first synthesized in 1863 by Adolph von Bayer. His company later went on to synthesize aspirin for the first time, and Bayer aspirin is still a popular brand today.

Did you know?

The first documented use of surgical anesthesia in the United States was in Connecticut in 1844.

Did you know?

It is believed that humans initially contracted crabs from gorillas about 3 million years ago from either sleeping in gorilla nests or eating the apes.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library