This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient tells the nurse, I am really confused after talking to my doctor. He said I would be ... (Read 22 times)

jCorn1234

The patient tells the nurse, I am really confused after talking to my doctor. He said I would be taking different kinds of medications for my anxiety and insomnia. Will you please explain it? What is the best response by the nurse?

1. You will be taking medications known as sedative-hypnotics.
  2. You will be taking medications known as antidepressants.
  3. You will be taking a medication known as paraldehyde.
  4. You will be taking medications known as barbiturates.
  5. You will be taking medications known as benzodiazepines.

Question 2

The patient tells the nurse he worries about everything all day, feels confused, restless, and just can't stop worrying. What is the best response by the nurse?

1. You have generalized anxiety; I will teach you some relaxation techniques.
  2. This sounds like social anxiety. You need to calm down and you'll be fine.
  3. You have posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and it is time for your therapy session.
  4. This is called panic disorder; I'll get your medication for you.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ktidd

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,5
Rationale: The three categories of medications used to treat anxiety and sleep disorders include the benzodiazepines, antidepressants, and sedative-hypnotics. Barbiturates are no longer used for anxiety or insomnia because of significant side effects and the availability of more effective medications. Paraldehyde is no longer used for anxiety or insomnia because of significant side effects and the availability of more effective medications.

Answer to Question 2

Great help.

jCorn1234

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

ktidd

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

The U.S. Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting Program states that approximately 50% of all medication errors involve insulin.

Did you know?

About one in five American adults and teenagers have had a genital herpes infection—and most of them don't know it. People with genital herpes have at least twice the risk of becoming infected with HIV if exposed to it than those people who do not have genital herpes.

Did you know?

Anesthesia awareness is a potentially disturbing adverse effect wherein patients who have been paralyzed with muscle relaxants may awaken. They may be aware of their surroundings but unable to communicate or move. Neurologic monitoring equipment that helps to more closely check the patient's anesthesia stages is now available to avoid the occurrence of anesthesia awareness.

Did you know?

During the twentieth century, a variant of the metric system was used in Russia and France in which the base unit of mass was the tonne. Instead of kilograms, this system used millitonnes (mt).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library