This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The patient tells the nurse, I am really confused after talking to my doctor. He said I would be ... (Read 23 times)

jCorn1234

The patient tells the nurse, I am really confused after talking to my doctor. He said I would be taking different kinds of medications for my anxiety and insomnia. Will you please explain it? What is the best response by the nurse?

1. You will be taking medications known as sedative-hypnotics.
  2. You will be taking medications known as antidepressants.
  3. You will be taking a medication known as paraldehyde.
  4. You will be taking medications known as barbiturates.
  5. You will be taking medications known as benzodiazepines.

Question 2

The patient tells the nurse he worries about everything all day, feels confused, restless, and just can't stop worrying. What is the best response by the nurse?

1. You have generalized anxiety; I will teach you some relaxation techniques.
  2. This sounds like social anxiety. You need to calm down and you'll be fine.
  3. You have posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and it is time for your therapy session.
  4. This is called panic disorder; I'll get your medication for you.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ktidd

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 1,2,5
Rationale: The three categories of medications used to treat anxiety and sleep disorders include the benzodiazepines, antidepressants, and sedative-hypnotics. Barbiturates are no longer used for anxiety or insomnia because of significant side effects and the availability of more effective medications. Paraldehyde is no longer used for anxiety or insomnia because of significant side effects and the availability of more effective medications.

Answer to Question 2

Great help.

jCorn1234

Both answers were spot on, thank you once again

ktidd

Did you know?

Dogs have been used in studies to detect various cancers in human subjects. They have been trained to sniff breath samples from humans that were collected by having them breathe into special tubes. These people included 55 lung cancer patients, 31 breast cancer patients, and 83 cancer-free patients. The dogs detected 54 of the 55 lung cancer patients as having cancer, detected 28 of the 31 breast cancer patients, and gave only three false-positive results (detecting cancer in people who didn't have it).

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

Did you know?

The immune system needs 9.5 hours of sleep in total darkness to recharge completely.

Did you know?

There are approximately 3 million unintended pregnancies in the United States each year.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library