This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The client complains of numbness of the throat and tongue after taking benzonatate (Tessalon). What ... (Read 28 times)

humphriesbr@me.com

The client complains of numbness of the throat and tongue after taking benzonatate (Tessalon). What instruction should the nurse provide for the client?

1. Take one-half the prescribed dose.
  2. Swallow the medication whole.
  3. Stop taking benzonatate immediately, because this is a life-threatening emergency.
  4. Take benzonatate with an antihistamine.

Question 2

A client has been prescribed fexofenadine (Allegra) for allergic rhinitis. Which statement made by the client indicates the need for further teaching?

1. This medication is available only in pill form.
  2. I will take this medication every day to prevent symptoms of allergies.
  3. I will take this medication only when I have seasonal allergy symptoms.
  4. This medication does not cause drowsiness.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

nanny

Answer to Question 1

Rationale 1: The client needs to swallow the medication whole. Chewing this medication causes numbness of the tongue and throat.
Rationale 2: The client needs to swallow the medication whole. Chewing this medication causes numbness of the tongue and throat.
Rationale 3: The client needs to swallow the medication whole. Chewing this medication causes numbness of the tongue and throat.
Rationale 4: The client needs to swallow the medication whole. Chewing this medication causes numbness of the tongue and throat.

Global Rationale: Benzonatate is a nonopioid antitussive which has a local anesthetic-like effect on stretch receptors in the lung. The client needs to swallow the medication whole. Chewing this medication causes numbness of the tongue and throat. It is outside the nurse's scope of practice to change the medication order. This is not a life-threatening emergency and the benzonatate does not need to be stopped immediately. Taking benzonatate with an antihistamine will not stop the numbness of the throat and tongue.

Answer to Question 2

Rationale 1:This medication is available only in pill form is incorrect because this statement is true.
Rationale 2:I will take this medication every day to prevent symptoms of allergies is incorrect because this is the correct way to take this medication.
Rationale 3: Antihistamines are most effective when taken prophylactically to prevent allergic symptoms.
Rationale 4:This medication does not cause drowsiness is incorrect because this statement is true for this medication.

Global Rationale: Antihistamines are most effective when taken prophylactically to prevent allergic symptoms. This medication is available only in pill form, should be taken every day to prevent symptoms, and does cause drowsiness.

humphriesbr@me.com

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

softEldritch

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Fatal fungal infections may be able to resist newer antifungal drugs. Globally, fungal infections are often fatal due to the lack of access to multiple antifungals, which may be required to be utilized in combination. Single antifungals may not be enough to stop a fungal infection from causing the death of a patient.

Did you know?

Green tea is able to stop the scent of garlic or onion from causing bad breath.

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

When Gabriel Fahrenheit invented the first mercury thermometer, he called "zero degrees" the lowest temperature he was able to attain with a mixture of ice and salt. For the upper point of his scale, he used 96°, which he measured as normal human body temperature (we know it to be 98.6° today because of more accurate thermometers).

Did you know?

Alzheimer's disease affects only about 10% of people older than 65 years of age. Most forms of decreased mental function and dementia are caused by disuse (letting the mind get lazy).

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library