This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is discussing the mechanism of action of omeprazole (Prilosec) with a group of nursing ... (Read 24 times)

jlmhmf

The nurse is discussing the mechanism of action of omeprazole (Prilosec) with a group of nursing students. Which statement by a student would best indicate understanding of the mechanism of action of omeprazole?

a. The duration of action is short, because the drug has a short half-life.
  b. Absorption occurs in the stomach when the pH is greater than 5.
  c. It irreversibly inhibits the enzyme needed to produce stomach acid.
  d. The complete return of acid production occurs 24 hours after discontinuation.

Question 2

The nurse has provided education on factors that contribute to ulcer formation to her patient diagnosed with peptic ulcer disease (PUD). Which of the following statements by the patient indicates a need for further teaching?

a. I guess I'll have to avoid coffee and cola from now on.
  b. I am surprised to learn that Helicobacter pylori infection can lead to ulcers.
  c. Instead of ibuprofen, I'll take acetaminophen for my arthritis.
  d. I'm going to ask my doctor to order a nicotine patch to help me quit smoking.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Liddy

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The mechanism of action of omeprazole is that it irreversibly inhibits the enzyme needed to produce stomach acid. Effects persist until new enzyme is synthesized, with partial recovery in 3 to 5 days.
Although the half-life of the drug is short, the effects persist long after the drug has been cleared from the body.
Absorption does not take place in the stomach. The medication is acid labile and would be destroyed in the gut without protection. It is enteric coated and designed to become activated in the alkaline environment of the duodenum.
Partial return of acid production occurs 3 to 5 days after the medication is stopped. Full recovery may take weeks.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: A
No convincing evidence shows that beverages containing caffeine (eg, coffee, tea, and cola) promote ulcer formation or interfere with recovery; this statement indicates a need for further teaching.
The most common cause of PUD is infection with H. pylori; no further teaching is necessary.
The second most common cause of PUD is the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Ibuprofen is an NSAID, but acetaminophen is not; no further teaching is necessary.
Smoking delays ulcer healing and increases the risk of recurrence; no further teaching is necessary.

jlmhmf

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

ebonylittles

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Inotropic therapy does not have a role in the treatment of most heart failure patients. These drugs can make patients feel and function better but usually do not lengthen the predicted length of their lives.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

It is widely believed that giving a daily oral dose of aspirin to heart attack patients improves their chances of survival because the aspirin blocks the formation of new blood clots.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library