This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse provides teaching to a patient who will begin taking oral cyclophosphamide to treat ... (Read 137 times)

nelaaney

A nurse provides teaching to a patient who will begin taking oral cyclophosphamide to treat non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Which statement by the patient indicates an understanding about how to minimize side effects while taking this drug?

a. I don't need to worry about bone marrow suppression with this drug.
  b. I should drink plenty of fluids while taking this drug.
  c. I should take this drug on an empty stomach.
  d. If I shampoo less often, I can prevent hair loss.

Question 2

A nurse is discussing vesicant chemotherapeutic agents with a nursing student. Which statement by the student indicates a need for further teaching about this type of drug?

a. Extravasation of this type of drug may result in the need for skin grafts.
  b. If an IV line used for a vesicant drug infiltrates, it must be discontinued immediately.
  c. These drugs may be administered orally as well as intravenously.
  d. This type of drug may not be infused at a site of previous irradiation.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

zogaridan

Answer to Question 1

ANS: B
Acute hemorrhagic cystitis can occur; this can be minimized by maintaining adequate hydration and taking mesna (Mesnex), a protective agent. Bone marrow suppression is a dose-limiting side effect. This drug should be taken with food. Hair loss cannot be prevented by shampooing less often.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Vesicants are given intravenously. Extravasation may cause severe local tissue injury, requiring skin grafts. Vesicants that infiltrate must be stopped immediately. Sites of previous irradiation should not be used.

nelaaney

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

ashely1112

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

There are more bacteria in your mouth than there are people in the world.

Did you know?

Drugs are in development that may cure asthma and hay fever once and for all. They target leukotrienes, which are known to cause tightening of the air passages in the lungs and increase mucus productions in nasal passages.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

Did you know?

Medication errors are three times higher among children and infants than with adults.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library