This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse provides teaching to a patient who will begin taking simvastatin (Zocor) to treat ... (Read 49 times)

ghost!

The nurse provides teaching to a patient who will begin taking simvastatin (Zocor) to treat hyperlipidemia. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may have diarrhea as a result of taking this medication.
  b. I may stop taking this medication when my lipid levels are normal.
  c. I will need an annual eye examination while taking this medication.
  d. I will increase my intake of vitamins A, D, and E while taking this medication.

Question 2

A patient will begin taking simvastatin (Zocor) to decrease serum cholesterol. When teaching the patient about this medication, the nurse will counsel the patient to take which action?

a. Return to the clinic annually for laboratory testing.
  b. Take care when rising from a sitting to standing position.
  c. Take the medication in the evening for best effect.
  d. Use ibuprofen as needed for muscle aches and pain.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

popopong

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The statins can affect visual acuity, so patients should be counseled to have annual eye examinations for assessment of cataract formation. The bile acid sequestrants, not statins, cause diarrhea. Statin drug therapy is lifelong or until behavioral changes prove equally effective (uncommon). Bile acid sequestrants, not statins, decrease the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Simvastatin is given in the evening. Laboratory tests are performed every 3 to 6 months, not annually. Statins do not cause postural hypotension. Patients taking statins should report muscle aches and weakness immediately.

ghost!

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Wow, this really help

chereeb

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

Asthma attacks and symptoms usually get started by specific triggers (such as viruses, allergies, gases, and air particles). You should talk to your doctor about these triggers and find ways to avoid or get rid of them.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

Bisphosphonates were first developed in the nineteenth century. They were first investigated for use in disorders of bone metabolism in the 1960s. They are now used clinically for the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget's disease, bone metastasis, multiple myeloma, and other conditions that feature bone fragility.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library