This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a female patient who will begin taking isotretinoin (Amnesteem) to treat ... (Read 46 times)

jerry coleman

The nurse is teaching a female patient who will begin taking isotretinoin (Amnesteem) to treat severe cystic acne. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may get a 3-month supply of the medication with each refill.
  b. I must abstain from intercourse while taking this drug.
  c. I should avoid strenuous exercise when I am taking this medication.
  d. I should take a vitamin A supplement while I am taking the medication.

Question 2

A patient who has psoriasis will begin taking etanercept (Enbrel). The nurse will ensure that which laboratory test is performed prior to initiating treatment with this drug?

a. Complete blood count (CBC) with differential
  b. CD4 and T-cell count
  c. Serum pregnancy test
  d. Tuberculin test

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kilada

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Serious muscle damage may occur while taking this medication, so patients should avoid strenuous activity which can compound this effect. Patients must get monthly refills and must take a pregnancy test before each refill. Patients should use two reliable forms of birth control, but abstinence is not required. Vitamin A can compound the adverse effects of this medication.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Enbrel can worsen infections, and patients taking this drug must have a tuberculin skin test prior to initiation of treatment. CBC, CD4, and T-cell counts are monitored during therapy with alefacept. A serum pregnancy test is not indicated.

jerry coleman

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

ultraflyy23

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Patients who have been on total parenteral nutrition for more than a few days may need to have foods gradually reintroduced to give the digestive tract time to start working again.

Did you know?

A strange skin disease referred to as Morgellons has occurred in the southern United States and in California. Symptoms include slowly healing sores, joint pain, persistent fatigue, and a sensation of things crawling through the skin. Another symptom is strange-looking, threadlike extrusions coming out of the skin.

Did you know?

Cocaine was isolated in 1860 and first used as a local anesthetic in 1884. Its first clinical use was by Sigmund Freud to wean a patient from morphine addiction. The fictional character Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be addicted to cocaine by injection.

Did you know?

To maintain good kidney function, you should drink at least 3 quarts of water daily. Water dilutes urine and helps prevent concentrations of salts and minerals that can lead to kidney stone formation. Chronic dehydration is a major contributor to the development of kidney stones.

Did you know?

The toxic levels for lithium carbonate are close to the therapeutic levels. Signs of toxicity include fine hand tremor, polyuria, mild thirst, nausea, general discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, muscular weakness, lack of coordination, ataxia, giddiness, tinnitus, and blurred vision.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library