This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a female patient who will begin taking isotretinoin (Amnesteem) to treat ... (Read 48 times)

jerry coleman

The nurse is teaching a female patient who will begin taking isotretinoin (Amnesteem) to treat severe cystic acne. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may get a 3-month supply of the medication with each refill.
  b. I must abstain from intercourse while taking this drug.
  c. I should avoid strenuous exercise when I am taking this medication.
  d. I should take a vitamin A supplement while I am taking the medication.

Question 2

A patient who has psoriasis will begin taking etanercept (Enbrel). The nurse will ensure that which laboratory test is performed prior to initiating treatment with this drug?

a. Complete blood count (CBC) with differential
  b. CD4 and T-cell count
  c. Serum pregnancy test
  d. Tuberculin test

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kilada

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Serious muscle damage may occur while taking this medication, so patients should avoid strenuous activity which can compound this effect. Patients must get monthly refills and must take a pregnancy test before each refill. Patients should use two reliable forms of birth control, but abstinence is not required. Vitamin A can compound the adverse effects of this medication.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Enbrel can worsen infections, and patients taking this drug must have a tuberculin skin test prior to initiation of treatment. CBC, CD4, and T-cell counts are monitored during therapy with alefacept. A serum pregnancy test is not indicated.

jerry coleman

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

bulacsom

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

Did you know?

As many as 20% of Americans have been infected by the fungus known as Histoplasmosis. While most people are asymptomatic or only have slight symptoms, infection can progress to a rapid and potentially fatal superinfection.

Did you know?

There can actually be a 25-hour time difference between certain locations in the world. The International Date Line passes between the islands of Samoa and American Samoa. It is not a straight line, but "zig-zags" around various island chains. Therefore, Samoa and nearby islands have one date, while American Samoa and nearby islands are one day behind. Daylight saving time is used in some islands, but not in others—further shifting the hours out of sync with natural time.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

Critical care patients are twice as likely to receive the wrong medication. Of these errors, 20% are life-threatening, and 42% require additional life-sustaining treatments.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library