This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse provides teaching to a patient who will begin taking simvastatin (Zocor) to treat ... (Read 41 times)

ghost!

The nurse provides teaching to a patient who will begin taking simvastatin (Zocor) to treat hyperlipidemia. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I may have diarrhea as a result of taking this medication.
  b. I may stop taking this medication when my lipid levels are normal.
  c. I will need an annual eye examination while taking this medication.
  d. I will increase my intake of vitamins A, D, and E while taking this medication.

Question 2

A patient will begin taking simvastatin (Zocor) to decrease serum cholesterol. When teaching the patient about this medication, the nurse will counsel the patient to take which action?

a. Return to the clinic annually for laboratory testing.
  b. Take care when rising from a sitting to standing position.
  c. Take the medication in the evening for best effect.
  d. Use ibuprofen as needed for muscle aches and pain.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

popopong

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The statins can affect visual acuity, so patients should be counseled to have annual eye examinations for assessment of cataract formation. The bile acid sequestrants, not statins, cause diarrhea. Statin drug therapy is lifelong or until behavioral changes prove equally effective (uncommon). Bile acid sequestrants, not statins, decrease the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Simvastatin is given in the evening. Laboratory tests are performed every 3 to 6 months, not annually. Statins do not cause postural hypotension. Patients taking statins should report muscle aches and weakness immediately.

ghost!

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

fatboyy09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Your chance of developing a kidney stone is 1 in 10. In recent years, approximately 3.7 million people in the United States were diagnosed with a kidney disease.

Did you know?

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommends that all women age 65 years of age or older should be screened with bone densitometry.

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

In 1835 it was discovered that a disease of silkworms known as muscardine could be transferred from one silkworm to another, and was caused by a fungus.

Did you know?

Once thought to have neurofibromatosis, Joseph Merrick (also known as "the elephant man") is now, in retrospect, thought by clinical experts to have had Proteus syndrome. This endocrine disease causes continued and abnormal growth of the bones, muscles, skin, and so on and can become completely debilitating with severe deformities occurring anywhere on the body.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library