This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: During discharge instruction, a nurse wants to assess a patient's understanding of treatment with ... (Read 9 times)

maychende

During discharge instruction, a nurse wants to assess a patient's understanding of treatment with cholestyramine (Questran). Which statement made by the patient best demonstrates a need for additional teaching?

a. I will take cholestyramine (Questran) 1 hour before my other medications.
  b. I will increase fluids and fiber in my diet.
  c. I will weigh myself weekly.
  d. I will have my blood pressure checked weekly.

Question 2

A nurse is providing patient education about colesevelam (Welchol), a bile acid sequestrant. Which statement made by the patient demonstrates a need for further teaching?

a. Colesevelam will reduce my levels of low-density lipoprotein.
  b. Colesevelam will augment my statin drug therapy.
  c. I will not have to worry about having as many drug interactions as I did when I took cholestyramine.
  d. I cannot take digoxin while on this medication.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

Danny Ewald

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Patients need not weigh themselves weekly when taking cholestyramine. Cholestyramine should be taken at least 1 hour before other medications. When taken with other medications, cholestyramine can inhibit the absorption of the other drugs. Constipation is the principal complaint with cholestyramine. It can be minimized by increasing dietary fiber and fluids. Regular blood pressure checks are a good idea. The patient is taking cholestyramine because of high cholesterol, which contributes to hypertension.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Digoxin can be taken 1 hour before or 4 hours after taking a bile acid sequestrant. Colesevelam reduces the LDL cholesterol level, which is one of its therapeutic uses. Colesevelam augments statin therapy. Colesevelam does not significantly interact with or reduce the absorption of statins, digoxin, warfarin, or most other drugs.

maychende

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

bitingbit

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

Aspirin is the most widely used drug in the world. It has even been recognized as such by the Guinness Book of World Records.

Did you know?

A serious new warning has been established for pregnant women against taking ACE inhibitors during pregnancy. In the study, the risk of major birth defects in children whose mothers took ACE inhibitors during the first trimester was nearly three times higher than in children whose mothers didn't take ACE inhibitors. Physicians can prescribe alternative medications for pregnant women who have symptoms of high blood pressure.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

There are immediate benefits of chiropractic adjustments that are visible via magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). It shows that spinal manipulation therapy is effective in decreasing pain and increasing the gaps between the vertebrae, reducing pressure that leads to pain.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library