This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is instructing a patient who has been prescribed sucralfate (Carafate) for peptic ulcer ... (Read 25 times)

Zoey63294

The nurse is instructing a patient who has been prescribed sucralfate (Carafate) for peptic ulcer disease. Which statement by the patient indicates the need for additional teaching?

a. This drug coats my ulcer and protects it so that healing can occur.
  b. I should eat foods with lots of fiber while I'm taking this drug.
  c. If I feel dizzy, I will be sure to get up from bed slowly.
  d. Once I am feeling better I can stop taking the drug.

Question 2

Which precaution is most important for the nurse to teach a patient who is prescribed isoniazid (INH, Nydrazid)?

a. Use another form of birth control in addition to oral contraceptives to prevent an unplanned pregnancy.
  b. Do not drive or operate dangerous equipment until you know how this drug af-fects you.
  c. Wear glasses rather than contact lenses throughout this drug therapy.
  d. Avoid coffee and any foods or beverages that contain caffeine.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sabina576

Answer to Question 1

D
Patients prescribed sucralfate should take the drug exactly as directed by their prescriber. The nurse must teach the patient that this drug is usually prescribed for 4 to 8 weeks and the patient should continue to take it even if feeling better.

Answer to Question 2

D
Isoniazid raises blood pressure. When this drug is taken in combination with other drugs or agents that also raise blood pressure, the patient can develop dangerous hypertension. Caffeine is a common food ingredient that greatly increases the risk for hypertension when taken in combi-nation with isoniazid.

Zoey63294

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

chereeb

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

In 1885, the Lloyd Manufacturing Company of Albany, New York, promoted and sold "Cocaine Toothache Drops" at 15 cents per bottle! In 1914, the Harrison Narcotic Act brought the sale and distribution of this drug under federal control.

Did you know?

About 3% of all pregnant women will give birth to twins, which is an increase in rate of nearly 60% since the early 1980s.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

Stroke kills people from all ethnic backgrounds, but the people at highest risk for fatal strokes are: black men, black women, Asian men, white men, and white women.

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library