This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is instructing a patient who has been prescribed sucralfate (Carafate) for peptic ulcer ... (Read 26 times)

Zoey63294

The nurse is instructing a patient who has been prescribed sucralfate (Carafate) for peptic ulcer disease. Which statement by the patient indicates the need for additional teaching?

a. This drug coats my ulcer and protects it so that healing can occur.
  b. I should eat foods with lots of fiber while I'm taking this drug.
  c. If I feel dizzy, I will be sure to get up from bed slowly.
  d. Once I am feeling better I can stop taking the drug.

Question 2

Which precaution is most important for the nurse to teach a patient who is prescribed isoniazid (INH, Nydrazid)?

a. Use another form of birth control in addition to oral contraceptives to prevent an unplanned pregnancy.
  b. Do not drive or operate dangerous equipment until you know how this drug af-fects you.
  c. Wear glasses rather than contact lenses throughout this drug therapy.
  d. Avoid coffee and any foods or beverages that contain caffeine.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

sabina576

Answer to Question 1

D
Patients prescribed sucralfate should take the drug exactly as directed by their prescriber. The nurse must teach the patient that this drug is usually prescribed for 4 to 8 weeks and the patient should continue to take it even if feeling better.

Answer to Question 2

D
Isoniazid raises blood pressure. When this drug is taken in combination with other drugs or agents that also raise blood pressure, the patient can develop dangerous hypertension. Caffeine is a common food ingredient that greatly increases the risk for hypertension when taken in combi-nation with isoniazid.

Zoey63294

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

sultana.d

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

In inpatient settings, adverse drug events account for an estimated one in three of all hospital adverse events. They affect approximately 2 million hospital stays every year, and prolong hospital stays by between one and five days.

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

Excessive alcohol use costs the country approximately $235 billion every year.

Did you know?

The cure for trichomoniasis is easy as long as the patient does not drink alcoholic beverages for 24 hours. Just a single dose of medication is needed to rid the body of the disease. However, without proper precautions, an individual may contract the disease repeatedly. In fact, most people develop trichomoniasis again within three months of their last treatment.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library