This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is providing community education about medications and the drug schedules established by the ... (Read 25 times)

Alygatorr01285

A nurse is providing community education about medications and the drug schedules established by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).

Which statement made by a member of the class best demonstrates an understanding of DEA schedules?
  a. Schedule I drugs have the lowest potential for abuse.
  b. Schedule II drugs have no approved indications.
  c. Schedule V drugs have the highest potential for abuse.
  d. Schedule I drugs are not approved for any medical use.

Question 2

A patient with a current history of drug abuse is admitted to the unit. The next morning the patient begins to display abstinence syndrome. The nurse anticipates signs and symptoms consistent with which of the following conditions?

a. Toxicity
  b. Psychologic dependence
  c. Physical dependence
  d. Drug tolerance

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

kishoreddi

• Your online Help in Biology and chemistry
Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Schedule I drugs are not approved for any medical use.
Schedule I drugs have the highest potential for abuse.
Schedule II drugs have several approved indications.
Schedule V drugs have the lowest potential for abuse.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Physical dependence results in abstinence syndrome.
A patient with toxicity would not display the signs and symptoms of abstinence syndrome.
Psychologic dependence is a subjective need for drugs and does not result in abstinence syndrome.
Drug tolerance simply means that the patient needs more of the drug to produce the desired effect; it does not relate to abstinence syndrome.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

Although puberty usually occurs in the early teenage years, the world's youngest parents were two Chinese children who had their first baby when they were 8 and 9 years of age.

Did you know?

Certain rare plants containing cyanide include apricot pits and a type of potato called cassava. Fortunately, only chronic or massive ingestion of any of these plants can lead to serious poisoning.

Did you know?

Oxytocin is recommended only for pregnancies that have a medical reason for inducing labor (such as eclampsia) and is not recommended for elective procedures or for making the birthing process more convenient.

Did you know?

The human body's pharmacokinetics are quite varied. Our hair holds onto drugs longer than our urine, blood, or saliva. For example, alcohol can be detected in the hair for up to 90 days after it was consumed. The same is true for marijuana, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, methamphetamine, and nicotine.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library