This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is caring for a patient being treated for newly diagnosed irritable bowel syndrome. The ... (Read 42 times)

penguins

A nurse is caring for a patient being treated for newly diagnosed irritable bowel syndrome. The nurse should anticipate the administration of which muscarinic antagonist?

a. Bethanechol (Urecholine)
  b. Pirenzepine and telenzepine
  c. Physostigmine
  d. Dicyclomine (Bentyl)

Question 2

A nurse is providing community education about medications and the drug schedules established by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA). Which statement made by a member of the class best demonstrates an understanding of DEA schedules?

a. Schedule I drugs have the lowest potential for abuse.
  b. Schedule II drugs have no approved indications.
  c. Schedule V drugs have the highest potential for abuse.
  d. Schedule I drugs are not approved for any medical use.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

abro1885

Answer to Question 1

D
The nurse should administer dicyclomine, which is indicated for irritable bowel syndrome.
Bethanechol is a muscarinic agonist, not an antagonist, and would not be used to treat a patient with irritable bowel syndrome.
Pirenzepine and telenzepine are indicated for peptic ulcer disease, not irritable bowel syndrome.
Physostigmine is indicated for antimuscarinic poisoning.

Answer to Question 2

D
Schedule I drugs are not approved for any medical use.
Schedule I drugs have the highest potential for abuse.
Schedule II drugs have several approved indications.
Schedule V drugs have the lowest potential for abuse.

penguins

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Gracias!

sultana.d

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was originally known as the Communicable Disease Center, which was formed to fight malaria. It was originally headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, since the Southern states faced the worst threat from malaria.

Did you know?

Signs of depression include feeling sad most of the time for 2 weeks or longer; loss of interest in things normally enjoyed; lack of energy; sleep and appetite disturbances; weight changes; feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, or worthlessness; an inability to make decisions; and thoughts of death and suicide.

Did you know?

Fewer than 10% of babies are born on their exact due dates, 50% are born within 1 week of the due date, and 90% are born within 2 weeks of the date.

Did you know?

Atropine was named after the Greek goddess Atropos, the oldest and ugliest of the three sisters known as the Fates, who controlled the destiny of men.

Did you know?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has released reports detailing the deaths of infants (younger than 1 year of age) who died after being given cold and cough medications. This underscores the importance of educating parents that children younger than 2 years of age should never be given over-the-counter cold and cough medications without consulting their physicians.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library