This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A nurse is teaching a patient who has chronic renal failure who will begin receiving epoetin alfa ... (Read 48 times)

nmorano1

A nurse is teaching a patient who has chronic renal failure who will begin receiving epoetin alfa Epogen about this drug therapy. Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. If I have to start dialysis, I will have to stop taking this drug.
  b. Taking this drug will not eliminate my need for blood transfusions.
  c. Taking this medication will prevent the need for dialysis in the future.
  d. When I take this, my serum ferritin levels will increase.

Question 2

A nurse is preparing a pediatric patient for surgery and is teaching the patient and the child's parents about the use of the patient-controlled analgesia pump. The parents voice concern about their child receiving an overdose of morphine.

What will the nurse do? a. Instruct the parents not to activate the de-vice when their child is sleeping.
  b. Reassure the parents that drug overdose is not possible with PCA.
  c. Suggest that the child use the PCA spa-ringly.
  d. Tell the patient that the pump can be pro-grammed for PRN dosing only.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aloop

Answer to Question 1

B
Epoetin alfa virtually reduces, but does not eliminate, the need for blood transfusions in patients with CRF. Dialysis is not a contraindication for taking this drug. Epoetin alfa does not prevent the need for dialysis. Epoetin alfa does not raise the serum ferritin level.

Answer to Question 2

A
The nurse should instruct parents not to activate the PCA when their child is sleeping because that can lead to drug overdose. Postoperative pain should be treated appropriately with medica-tions that are effective. Nonopioid medications are not sufficient to treat postoperative pain. Pa-tients should be encouraged to use the PCA as needed so that pain can be controlled in a timely fashion. PRN dosing is not as effective as dosing that is continuous, so a basal dose should be given as well as a PRN dose.

Did you know?

There are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in every adult human.

Did you know?

If you could remove all of your skin, it would weigh up to 5 pounds.

Did you know?

Approximately 70% of expectant mothers report experiencing some symptoms of morning sickness during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Did you know?

Patients who have undergone chemotherapy for the treatment of cancer often complain of a lack of mental focus; memory loss; and a general diminution in abilities such as multitasking, attention span, and general mental agility.

Did you know?

Of the estimated 2 million heroin users in the United States, 600,000–800,000 are considered hardcore addicts. Heroin addiction is considered to be one of the hardest addictions to recover from.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library