This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A primary care NP is developing a clinical practice guideline for management of a patient population ... (Read 23 times)

tichca

A primary care NP is developing a clinical practice guideline for management of a patient population in a midsized suburban hospital. The NP should:

a. use an existing guideline from a leading research hospital.
  b. follow the guideline provided by a third-party payer to help ensure reimbursement.
  c. review expert opinion and experimental, anecdotal, correlational study data.
  d. write the guideline to adhere to long-standing practice protocols already in use.

Question 2

A primary care NP provides teaching for a patient who will begin taking propranolol (Inderal). Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I should take this medication on an empty stomach.
  b. I should use caution while driving while taking this medication.
  c. I should not take the medication if my pulse is less than 60 beats per minute.
  d. If I have shortness of breath, I should discontinue the medication immediately.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aham8f

Answer to Question 1

C
Clinical guidelines should be written using all available evidence as well as expert opinion. Existing guidelines from a different type of hospital may not be based on data generalizable to this population. Third-party payer guidelines are usually weighted toward decreased costs. Long-standing protocols often do not take into account current knowledge and research.

Answer to Question 2

B
Because the medication can cause fatigue and drowsiness, patients should be advised to use caution when driving. The medication should be taken with food. Patients should not take a dose if the heart rate is less than 50 beats per minute. Patients should be advised to report shortness of breath but should not abruptly stop taking the medication.

tichca

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Gracias!

Bigfoot1984

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

Did you know?

Pink eye is a term that refers to conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the thin, clear membrane (conjunctiva) over the white part of the eye (sclera). It may be triggered by a virus, bacteria, or foreign body in the eye. Antibiotic eye drops alleviate bacterial conjunctivitis, and antihistamine allergy pills or eye drops help control allergic conjunctivitis symptoms.

Did you know?

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) in overdose can seriously damage the liver. It should never be taken by people who use alcohol heavily; it can result in severe liver damage and even a condition requiring a liver transplant.

Did you know?

Drying your hands with a paper towel will reduce the bacterial count on your hands by 45–60%.

Did you know?

Before a vaccine is licensed in the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reviews it for safety and effectiveness. The CDC then reviews all studies again, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Academy of Family Physicians. Every lot of vaccine is tested before administration to the public, and the FDA regularly inspects vaccine manufacturers' facilities.

Did you know?

The senior population grows every year. Seniors older than 65 years of age now comprise more than 13% of the total population. However, women outlive men. In the 85-and-over age group, there are only 45 men to every 100 women.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library