This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A primary care NP is developing a clinical practice guideline for management of a patient population ... (Read 25 times)

tichca

A primary care NP is developing a clinical practice guideline for management of a patient population in a midsized suburban hospital. The NP should:

a. use an existing guideline from a leading research hospital.
  b. follow the guideline provided by a third-party payer to help ensure reimbursement.
  c. review expert opinion and experimental, anecdotal, correlational study data.
  d. write the guideline to adhere to long-standing practice protocols already in use.

Question 2

A primary care NP provides teaching for a patient who will begin taking propranolol (Inderal). Which statement by the patient indicates understanding of the teaching?

a. I should take this medication on an empty stomach.
  b. I should use caution while driving while taking this medication.
  c. I should not take the medication if my pulse is less than 60 beats per minute.
  d. If I have shortness of breath, I should discontinue the medication immediately.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

aham8f

Answer to Question 1

C
Clinical guidelines should be written using all available evidence as well as expert opinion. Existing guidelines from a different type of hospital may not be based on data generalizable to this population. Third-party payer guidelines are usually weighted toward decreased costs. Long-standing protocols often do not take into account current knowledge and research.

Answer to Question 2

B
Because the medication can cause fatigue and drowsiness, patients should be advised to use caution when driving. The medication should be taken with food. Patients should not take a dose if the heart rate is less than 50 beats per minute. Patients should be advised to report shortness of breath but should not abruptly stop taking the medication.

tichca

Reply 2 on: Jul 24, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

momolu

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

Did you know?

Normal urine is sterile. It contains fluids, salts, and waste products. It is free of bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

Did you know?

Patients should never assume they are being given the appropriate drugs. They should make sure they know which drugs are being prescribed, and always double-check that the drugs received match the prescription.

Did you know?

The first war in which wide-scale use of anesthetics occurred was the Civil War, and 80% of all wounds were in the extremities.

Did you know?

More than 50% of American adults have oral herpes, which is commonly known as "cold sores" or "fever blisters." The herpes virus can be active on the skin surface without showing any signs or causing any symptoms.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library