This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: After a bed weight is obtained the RD will be able to calculate a specific caloric and protein need. ... (Read 10 times)

yoroshambo

After a bed weight is obtained the RD will be able to calculate a specific caloric and protein need. Considering RK's lack of activity and posturing, estimate his kcal and protein needs per kg of body weight.

Question 2

If Mr. F were to take supplements of aspirin, coenzyme Q, folic acid, vitamins E, B12, and B6, what doses would you recommend?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

recede

Answer to Question 1

Normal kcal for the average person is considered to be about 25 to 30 kcals/kg. In RK's case, he is obviously requiring something less than that, probably 20 to 25 kcals/kg. His protein is probably no more than .8 g/kg, possibly a little less.

Answer to Question 2

I would not recommend that Mr. F take aspirin and garlic together. One baby aspirin every day or every other day has been shown to be effective. While it is very popular in health food stores, coenzyme Q has not been extensively researched to warrant a recommendation. I would recommend following the advice of your doctor regarding coenzyme Q. The enzyme can be obtained naturally from sardines, spinach, and peanuts. While it is not an official recommendation, one or two times the RDAs for folate is the usual dose found available. I would not take more. Vitamin E supplements are obtainable in 200, 400, and 1000 IU. I have not seen research that recommends 1000 IU. Most recommendations are from 200 to 800 IU per day. This recommendation would be based on other medications the patient was taking, their level of exercise, other disease states, etc. All of these could promote free radical production at varying levels. If someone were to take more than 200, I would recommend smaller increments, as 200 IU at a time 2 or 3 times a day. Personally, I believe two or three times the RDAs for B12 and B6 would be sufficient but small doses are not available. Probably half or one fourth of the smallest dose of pure B12 and B6 would be sufficient. I would be very cautious making these recommendations for concern that the patient would assume the if a little helps, a lot will help a lot more..

yoroshambo

Reply 2 on: Aug 2, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

olderstudent

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Although the Roman numeral for the number 4 has always been taught to have been "IV," according to historians, the ancient Romans probably used "IIII" most of the time. This is partially backed up by the fact that early grandfather clocks displayed IIII for the number 4 instead of IV. Early clockmakers apparently thought that the IIII balanced out the VIII (used for the number 8) on the clock face and that it just looked better.

Did you know?

Street names for barbiturates include reds, red devils, yellow jackets, blue heavens, Christmas trees, and rainbows. They are commonly referred to as downers.

Did you know?

If all the neurons in the human body were lined up, they would stretch more than 600 miles.

Did you know?

Fungal nail infections account for up to 30% of all skin infections. They affect 5% of the general population—mostly people over the age of 70.

Did you know?

Children with strabismus (crossed eyes) can be treated. They are not able to outgrow this condition on their own, but with help, it can be more easily corrected at a younger age. It is important for infants to have eye examinations as early as possible in their development and then another at age 2 years.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library