This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: If I have a risk factor for a disease, does that mean that I will eventually get the disease? ... (Read 70 times)

MGLQZ

If I have a risk factor for a disease, does that mean that I will eventually get the disease?

Question 2

If epidemiologic studies cannot be used to test for causal relationships, should I believe any claims that are based on them?

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

mrphibs

Answer to Question 1

No. But the more risk factors you have, the more likely it is that you may have the disease in your life.

Answer to Question 2

Yes. Sometimes other types of studies cannot be conducted, and epidemiologic studies must be relied on to try to explain an observation. For example, most of what we know about the risks of smoking on chronic disease in humans was discovered using epidemiologic studies.

Did you know?

More than one-third of adult Americans are obese. Diseases that kill the largest number of people annually, such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and hypertension, can be attributed to diet.

Did you know?

Coca-Cola originally used coca leaves and caffeine from the African kola nut. It was advertised as a therapeutic agent and "pickerupper." Eventually, its formulation was changed, and the coca leaves were removed because of the effects of regulation on cocaine-related products.

Did you know?

Each year in the United States, there are approximately six million pregnancies. This means that at any one time, about 4% of women in the United States are pregnant.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

In 1886, William Bates reported on the discovery of a substance produced by the adrenal gland that turned out to be epinephrine (adrenaline). In 1904, this drug was first artificially synthesized by Friedrich Stolz.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library