Author Question: What does the limit of the derivative of a function tell you? (Read 1004 times)

aero

Starting with the function F(x) = (x^2 - 8)/(x+3), I took the derivative of it and got (x^2+6x+8)/(x+3)^2. Then I found the limit of that as x approached infinity, and it was 1. What does that answer tell me about F(x), the original function?

And please don't post any silly answers. Thanks.

j_sun

You did the derivative and the limit correctly.
In the limit, the slope of F is 1 means that eventually, the function F  is increasing 1 unit for every unit of x.
So the graph of F will eventual look like   F approximately =  1*x +b

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question

Did you know?

The effects of organophosphate poisoning are referred to by using the abbreviations “SLUD” or “SLUDGE,” It stands for: salivation, lacrimation, urination, defecation, GI upset, and emesis.

Did you know?

About 600,000 particles of skin are shed every hour by each human. If you live to age 70 years, you have shed 105 pounds of dead skin.

Did you know?

More than 150,000 Americans killed by cardiovascular disease are younger than the age of 65 years.

Did you know?

Always store hazardous household chemicals in their original containers out of reach of children. These include bleach, paint, strippers and products containing turpentine, garden chemicals, oven cleaners, fondue fuels, nail polish, and nail polish remover.

Did you know?

After a vasectomy, it takes about 12 ejaculations to clear out sperm that were already beyond the blocked area.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library