This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is experiencing severe anxiety associated with a phobia. Which nursing actions are ... (Read 55 times)

nummyann

A client is experiencing severe anxiety associated with a phobia. Which nursing actions are appropriate when providing care to the client?

Select all that apply.
  A) Explain why the reaction to the phobia is unrealistic.
  B) Make sure the client understands that she is safe.
  C) Teach why the phobia is imagined.
  D) Coach the client to deep breathe.
  E) Ensure a quiet and calm environment.

Question 2

The nurse is providing teaching to a client diagnosed with a social phobia. Which client statement indicates appropriate understanding of the information presented?

A) I try to avoid all situations where I am expected to talk in front of other people.
  B) I can control anxiety by deep breathing and relaxing before talking in front of other people.
  C) I take an antianxiety pill before I have to do anything in front of other people.
  D) I can have a drink before I speak in front of other people.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

akemokai

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B, E

As a client's anxiety level associated with a phobia increases, judgment and the ability to listen, remember, and learn are impaired. This is not the time to teach or present new information. The nurse should not argue with the client about the perception of reality. The nurse needs to ensure safety and offer a quiet, calm environment. Coaching in deep breathing would be applicable after the client is stabilized.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

People with social phobias may medicate themselves with alcohol or drugs to make it possible to endure social situations. This is not evidence that teaching has been effective. The individual with a social phobia may also avoid all situations in which the phobia occurs. This is also not evidence of successful instruction. Learning to control anxiety by deep breathing and relaxation is evidence that instruction about social phobias has been successful.

nummyann

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

epscape

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

All adverse reactions are commonly charted in red ink in the patient's record and usually are noted on the front of the chart. Failure to follow correct documentation procedures may result in malpractice lawsuits.

Did you know?

The largest baby ever born weighed more than 23 pounds but died just 11 hours after his birth in 1879. The largest surviving baby was born in October 2009 in Sumatra, Indonesia, and weighed an astounding 19.2 pounds at birth.

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

Did you know?

Giardia is one of the most common intestinal parasites worldwide, and infects up to 20% of the world population, mostly in poorer countries with inadequate sanitation. Infections are most common in children, though chronic Giardia is more common in adults.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library