This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is experiencing severe anxiety associated with a phobia. Which nursing actions are ... (Read 57 times)

nummyann

A client is experiencing severe anxiety associated with a phobia. Which nursing actions are appropriate when providing care to the client?

Select all that apply.
  A) Explain why the reaction to the phobia is unrealistic.
  B) Make sure the client understands that she is safe.
  C) Teach why the phobia is imagined.
  D) Coach the client to deep breathe.
  E) Ensure a quiet and calm environment.

Question 2

The nurse is providing teaching to a client diagnosed with a social phobia. Which client statement indicates appropriate understanding of the information presented?

A) I try to avoid all situations where I am expected to talk in front of other people.
  B) I can control anxiety by deep breathing and relaxing before talking in front of other people.
  C) I take an antianxiety pill before I have to do anything in front of other people.
  D) I can have a drink before I speak in front of other people.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

akemokai

Answer to Question 1

Answer: B, E

As a client's anxiety level associated with a phobia increases, judgment and the ability to listen, remember, and learn are impaired. This is not the time to teach or present new information. The nurse should not argue with the client about the perception of reality. The nurse needs to ensure safety and offer a quiet, calm environment. Coaching in deep breathing would be applicable after the client is stabilized.

Answer to Question 2

Answer: B

People with social phobias may medicate themselves with alcohol or drugs to make it possible to endure social situations. This is not evidence that teaching has been effective. The individual with a social phobia may also avoid all situations in which the phobia occurs. This is also not evidence of successful instruction. Learning to control anxiety by deep breathing and relaxation is evidence that instruction about social phobias has been successful.

nummyann

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

skipfourms123

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

The Romans did not use numerals to indicate fractions but instead used words to indicate parts of a whole.

Did you know?

The lipid bilayer is made of phospholipids. They are arranged in a double layer because one of their ends is attracted to water while the other is repelled by water.

Did you know?

The types of cancer that alpha interferons are used to treat include hairy cell leukemia, melanoma, follicular non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma.

Did you know?

The people with the highest levels of LDL are Mexican American males and non-Hispanic black females.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library