This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient contacts the office and tells the nurse that she is worried about her 10-year-old daughter ... (Read 50 times)

@Brianna17

A patient contacts the office and tells the nurse that she is worried about her 10-year-old daughter having breast cancer. She describes a unilateral enlargement of the right breast with associated tenderness.

She is worried because the left breast is not enlarged. What would be the nurse's best response? Tell the mother that:
  a.
  Breast development is usually fairly symmetric and that the daughter should be examined right away.
  b.
  She should bring in her daughter right away because breast cancer is fairly common in preadolescent girls.
  c.
  Although an examination of her daughter would rule out a problem, her breast development is most likely normal.
  d.
  It is unusual for breasts that are first developing to feel tender because they haven't developed much fibrous tissue.

Question 2

A 9-year-old girl is in the clinic for a sport physical examination. After some initial shyness she finally asks, Am I normal? I don't seem to need a bra yet, but I have some friends who do. What if I never get breasts?

The nurse's best response would be:
  a.
  Don't worry, you still have plenty of time to develop.
  b.
  I know just how you feel, I was a late bloomer myself. Just be patient, and they will grow.
  c.
  You will probably get your periods before you notice any significant growth in your breasts.
  d.
  I understand that it is hard to feel different from your friends. Breasts usually develop between 8 and 10 years of age.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fauacakatahaias

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Occasionally, one breast may grow faster than the other, producing a temporary asymmetry, which may cause some distress; reassurance is necessary. Tenderness is also common.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Adolescent breast development usually begins between 8 and 10 years of age. The nurse should not belittle the girl's feelings by using statements like don't worry or by sharing personal experiences. The beginning of breast development precedes menarche by approximately 2 years.

@Brianna17

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Excellent

matt95

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Certain topical medications such as clotrimazole and betamethasone are not approved for use in children younger than 12 years of age. They must be used very cautiously, as directed by a doctor, to treat any child. Children have a much greater response to topical steroid medications.

Did you know?

You should not take more than 1,000 mg of vitamin E per day. Doses above this amount increase the risk of bleeding problems that can lead to a stroke.

Did you know?

The use of salicylates dates back 2,500 years to Hippocrates's recommendation of willow bark (from which a salicylate is derived) as an aid to the pains of childbirth. However, overdosage of salicylates can harm body fluids, electrolytes, the CNS, the GI tract, the ears, the lungs, the blood, the liver, and the kidneys and cause coma or death.

Did you know?

In the United States, congenital cytomegalovirus causes one child to become disabled almost every hour. CMV is the leading preventable viral cause of development disability in newborns. These disabilities include hearing or vision loss, and cerebral palsy.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library