This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A patient contacts the office and tells the nurse that she is worried about her 10-year-old daughter ... (Read 52 times)

@Brianna17

A patient contacts the office and tells the nurse that she is worried about her 10-year-old daughter having breast cancer. She describes a unilateral enlargement of the right breast with associated tenderness.

She is worried because the left breast is not enlarged. What would be the nurse's best response? Tell the mother that:
  a.
  Breast development is usually fairly symmetric and that the daughter should be examined right away.
  b.
  She should bring in her daughter right away because breast cancer is fairly common in preadolescent girls.
  c.
  Although an examination of her daughter would rule out a problem, her breast development is most likely normal.
  d.
  It is unusual for breasts that are first developing to feel tender because they haven't developed much fibrous tissue.

Question 2

A 9-year-old girl is in the clinic for a sport physical examination. After some initial shyness she finally asks, Am I normal? I don't seem to need a bra yet, but I have some friends who do. What if I never get breasts?

The nurse's best response would be:
  a.
  Don't worry, you still have plenty of time to develop.
  b.
  I know just how you feel, I was a late bloomer myself. Just be patient, and they will grow.
  c.
  You will probably get your periods before you notice any significant growth in your breasts.
  d.
  I understand that it is hard to feel different from your friends. Breasts usually develop between 8 and 10 years of age.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fauacakatahaias

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
Occasionally, one breast may grow faster than the other, producing a temporary asymmetry, which may cause some distress; reassurance is necessary. Tenderness is also common.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Adolescent breast development usually begins between 8 and 10 years of age. The nurse should not belittle the girl's feelings by using statements like don't worry or by sharing personal experiences. The beginning of breast development precedes menarche by approximately 2 years.

@Brianna17

Reply 2 on: Jun 25, 2018
Wow, this really help

zacnyjessica

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The toxic levels for lithium carbonate are close to the therapeutic levels. Signs of toxicity include fine hand tremor, polyuria, mild thirst, nausea, general discomfort, diarrhea, vomiting, drowsiness, muscular weakness, lack of coordination, ataxia, giddiness, tinnitus, and blurred vision.

Did you know?

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus or MRSA was discovered in 1961 in the United Kingdom. It if often referred to as a superbug. MRSA infections cause more deaths in the United States every year than AIDS.

Methicilli ...
Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

Did you know?

During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds caused by hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.

Did you know?

Walt Disney helped combat malaria by making an animated film in 1943 called The Winged Scourge. This short film starred the seven dwarfs and taught children that mosquitos transmit malaria, which is a very bad disease. It advocated the killing of mosquitos to stop the disease.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library