This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client on an inpatient psychiatric unit tells the nurse, I should have died, because I am totally ... (Read 73 times)

KimWrice

A client on an inpatient psychiatric unit tells the nurse, I should have died, because I am totally worthless. In order to encourage the client to continue talking about feelings, which should be the nursing initial response?

A. How would your family feel if you died?
  B. You feel worthless now, but that can change with time.
  C. You've been feeling sad and alone for some time now?
  D. It is great that you have come in for help.

Question 2

During a nurseclient interaction, which nursing statement may belittle the client's feelings and concerns?

A. Don't worry. Everything will be alright.
  B. You appear uptight.
  C. I notice you have bitten your nails to the quick.
  D. You are jumping to conclusions.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

SomethingSomething

Answer to Question 1

C
This nursing statement is an example of the therapeutic communication technique of reflection. When reflection is used, questions and feelings are referred back to the client so that they may be recognized and accepted.

Answer to Question 2

A
This nursing statement is an example of the nontherapeutic communication block of belittling feelings. Belittling feelings occurs when the nurse misjudges the degree of the client's discomfort, suggesting a lack of empathy and understanding.

KimWrice

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Great answer, keep it coming :)

ryhom

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Autoimmune diseases occur when the immune system destroys its own healthy tissues. When this occurs, white blood cells cannot distinguish between pathogens and normal cells.

Did you know?

People with alcoholism are at a much greater risk of malnutrition than are other people and usually exhibit low levels of most vitamins (especially folic acid). This is because alcohol often takes the place of 50% of their daily intake of calories, with little nutritional value contained in it.

Did you know?

Hyperthyroidism leads to an increased rate of metabolism and affects about 1% of women but only 0.1% of men. For most people, this increased metabolic rate causes the thyroid gland to become enlarged (known as a goiter).

Did you know?

Barbituric acid, the base material of barbiturates, was first synthesized in 1863 by Adolph von Bayer. His company later went on to synthesize aspirin for the first time, and Bayer aspirin is still a popular brand today.

Did you know?

There are 20 feet of blood vessels in each square inch of human skin.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library