This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client on an inpatient psychiatric unit tells the nurse, I should have died, because I am totally ... (Read 74 times)

KimWrice

A client on an inpatient psychiatric unit tells the nurse, I should have died, because I am totally worthless. In order to encourage the client to continue talking about feelings, which should be the nursing initial response?

A. How would your family feel if you died?
  B. You feel worthless now, but that can change with time.
  C. You've been feeling sad and alone for some time now?
  D. It is great that you have come in for help.

Question 2

During a nurseclient interaction, which nursing statement may belittle the client's feelings and concerns?

A. Don't worry. Everything will be alright.
  B. You appear uptight.
  C. I notice you have bitten your nails to the quick.
  D. You are jumping to conclusions.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

SomethingSomething

Answer to Question 1

C
This nursing statement is an example of the therapeutic communication technique of reflection. When reflection is used, questions and feelings are referred back to the client so that they may be recognized and accepted.

Answer to Question 2

A
This nursing statement is an example of the nontherapeutic communication block of belittling feelings. Belittling feelings occurs when the nurse misjudges the degree of the client's discomfort, suggesting a lack of empathy and understanding.

KimWrice

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

jackie

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

In the United States, an estimated 50 million unnecessary antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections.

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

The human body produces and destroys 15 million blood cells every second.

Did you know?

According to the Migraine Research Foundation, migraines are the third most prevalent illness in the world. Women are most affected (18%), followed by children of both sexes (10%), and men (6%).

Did you know?

An identified risk factor for osteoporosis is the intake of excessive amounts of vitamin A. Dietary intake of approximately double the recommended daily amount of vitamin A, by women, has been shown to reduce bone mineral density and increase the chances for hip fractures compared with women who consumed the recommended daily amount (or less) of vitamin A.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library