This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statement by the patient would indicate the need for additional education regard-ing the ... (Read 8 times)

CORALGRILL2014

Which statement by the patient would indicate the need for additional education regard-ing the prescribed lithium treatment regimen?

a. I will restrict my daily salt intake.
  b. I will take my medications with food.
  c. I will have my blood drawn on schedule.
  d. I will drink 8 to 12 glasses of liquids daily.

Question 2

The nurse would evaluate that patient education regarding lithium therapy for an indi-vidual with bipolar disorder as effective if the patient states:

a. I can stop my lithium when I feel better.
  b. I can continue with my diuretic and cardiac medications.
  c. I will probably need to take the lithium for the rest of my life.
  d. I will taper my lithium when a therapeutic serum level is achieved.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vboyd24

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients taking lithium must maintain a normal sodium intake or risk symptoms of lithium toxicity. The patient should have 2 to 3 liters of fluid daily. Taking lithium with food mini-mizes gastrointestinal side effects. Regular monitoring of lithium levels is important to pre-vent toxicity.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Most patients with bipolar disorder require long-term maintenance on lithium or other anti-manic medication. Patients should never stop medication without consulting the physician. When a therapeutic level is achieved, the patient will continue on maintenance doses of lith-ium. Diuretics are contraindicated for the patient on lithium.

CORALGRILL2014

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
:D TYSM

fatboyy09

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

Drug-induced pharmacodynamic effects manifested in older adults include drug-induced renal toxicity, which can be a major factor when these adults are experiencing other kidney problems.

Did you know?

In 2010, opiate painkllers, such as morphine, OxyContin®, and Vicodin®, were tied to almost 60% of drug overdose deaths.

Did you know?

Addicts to opiates often avoid treatment because they are afraid of withdrawal. Though unpleasant, with proper management, withdrawal is rarely fatal and passes relatively quickly.

Did you know?

The term pharmacology is derived from the Greek words pharmakon("claim, medicine, poison, or remedy") and logos ("study").

Did you know?

Carbamazepine can interfere with the results of home pregnancy tests. If you are taking carbamazepine, do not try to test for pregnancy at home.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library