This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which statement by the patient would indicate the need for additional education regard-ing the ... (Read 10 times)

CORALGRILL2014

Which statement by the patient would indicate the need for additional education regard-ing the prescribed lithium treatment regimen?

a. I will restrict my daily salt intake.
  b. I will take my medications with food.
  c. I will have my blood drawn on schedule.
  d. I will drink 8 to 12 glasses of liquids daily.

Question 2

The nurse would evaluate that patient education regarding lithium therapy for an indi-vidual with bipolar disorder as effective if the patient states:

a. I can stop my lithium when I feel better.
  b. I can continue with my diuretic and cardiac medications.
  c. I will probably need to take the lithium for the rest of my life.
  d. I will taper my lithium when a therapeutic serum level is achieved.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

vboyd24

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Patients taking lithium must maintain a normal sodium intake or risk symptoms of lithium toxicity. The patient should have 2 to 3 liters of fluid daily. Taking lithium with food mini-mizes gastrointestinal side effects. Regular monitoring of lithium levels is important to pre-vent toxicity.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: C
Most patients with bipolar disorder require long-term maintenance on lithium or other anti-manic medication. Patients should never stop medication without consulting the physician. When a therapeutic level is achieved, the patient will continue on maintenance doses of lith-ium. Diuretics are contraindicated for the patient on lithium.

CORALGRILL2014

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Gracias!

ecabral0

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Stevens-Johnson syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis syndrome are life-threatening reactions that can result in death. Complications include permanent blindness, dry-eye syndrome, lung damage, photophobia, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, permanent loss of nail beds, scarring of mucous membranes, arthritis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Many patients' pores scar shut, causing them to retain heat.

Did you know?

The ratio of hydrogen atoms to oxygen in water (H2O) is 2:1.

Did you know?

In the ancient and medieval periods, dysentery killed about ? of all babies before they reach 12 months of age. The disease was transferred through contaminated drinking water, because there was no way to adequately dispose of sewage, which contaminated the water.

Did you know?

Many of the drugs used by neuroscientists are derived from toxic plants and venomous animals (such as snakes, spiders, snails, and puffer fish).

Did you know?

To prove that stomach ulcers were caused by bacteria and not by stress, a researcher consumed an entire laboratory beaker full of bacterial culture. After this, he did indeed develop stomach ulcers, and won the Nobel Prize for his discovery.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library