This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which technique will best communicate to a patient that the nurse is interested in listening? a. ... (Read 17 times)

Jipu 123

Which technique will best communicate to a patient that the nurse is interested in listening?

a. Restating a feeling or thought the patient has expressed.
  b. Asking a direct question, such as Did you feel angry?
  c. Making a judgment about the patient's problem.
  d. Saying, I understand what you're saying.

Question 2

A nurse interacts with a newly hospitalized patient. Select the nurse's comment that applies the communication technique of offering self.

a. I've also had traumatic life experiences. Maybe it would help if I told you about them.
  b. Why do you think you had so much difficulty adjusting to this change in your life?
  c. I hope you will feel better after getting accustomed to how this unit operates.
  d. I'd like to sit with you for a while to help you get comfortable talking to me.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

JCABRERA33

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Restating allows the patient to validate the nurse's understanding of what has been communicated. Restating is an active listening technique. Judgments should be suspended in a nurse-patient relationship. Close-ended questions such as Did you feel angry? ask for specific information rather than showing understanding. When the nurse simply states that he or she understands the patient's words, the patient has no way of measuring the understanding.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Offering self is a technique that should be used in the orientation phase of the nurse-patient relationship. Sitting with the patient, an example of offering self, helps to build trust and convey that the nurse cares about the patient. Two incorrect responses are ineffective and non-therapeutic. The other incorrect response is therapeutic but is an example of offering hope.

Did you know?

In 2010, opiate painkllers, such as morphine, OxyContin®, and Vicodin®, were tied to almost 60% of drug overdose deaths.

Did you know?

Immunoglobulin injections may give short-term protection against, or reduce severity of certain diseases. They help people who have an inherited problem making their own antibodies, or those who are having certain types of cancer treatments.

Did you know?

The most common treatment options for addiction include psychotherapy, support groups, and individual counseling.

Did you know?

The oldest recorded age was 122. Madame Jeanne Calment was born in France in 1875 and died in 1997. She was a vegetarian and loved olive oil, port wine, and chocolate.

Did you know?

Hip fractures are the most serious consequences of osteoporosis. The incidence of hip fractures increases with each decade among patients in their 60s to patients in their 90s for both women and men of all populations. Men and women older than 80 years of age show the highest incidence of hip fractures.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library