This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which technique will best communicate to a patient that the nurse is interested in listening? a. ... (Read 18 times)

Jipu 123

Which technique will best communicate to a patient that the nurse is interested in listening?

a. Restating a feeling or thought the patient has expressed.
  b. Asking a direct question, such as Did you feel angry?
  c. Making a judgment about the patient's problem.
  d. Saying, I understand what you're saying.

Question 2

A nurse interacts with a newly hospitalized patient. Select the nurse's comment that applies the communication technique of offering self.

a. I've also had traumatic life experiences. Maybe it would help if I told you about them.
  b. Why do you think you had so much difficulty adjusting to this change in your life?
  c. I hope you will feel better after getting accustomed to how this unit operates.
  d. I'd like to sit with you for a while to help you get comfortable talking to me.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

JCABRERA33

Answer to Question 1

ANS: A
Restating allows the patient to validate the nurse's understanding of what has been communicated. Restating is an active listening technique. Judgments should be suspended in a nurse-patient relationship. Close-ended questions such as Did you feel angry? ask for specific information rather than showing understanding. When the nurse simply states that he or she understands the patient's words, the patient has no way of measuring the understanding.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
Offering self is a technique that should be used in the orientation phase of the nurse-patient relationship. Sitting with the patient, an example of offering self, helps to build trust and convey that the nurse cares about the patient. Two incorrect responses are ineffective and non-therapeutic. The other incorrect response is therapeutic but is an example of offering hope.

Did you know?

Signs and symptoms of a drug overdose include losing consciousness, fever or sweating, breathing problems, abnormal pulse, and changes in skin color.

Did you know?

Warfarin was developed as a consequence of the study of a strange bleeding disorder that suddenly occurred in cattle on the northern prairies of the United States in the early 1900s.

Did you know?

Most childhood vaccines are 90–99% effective in preventing disease. Side effects are rarely serious.

Did you know?

Acute bronchitis is an inflammation of the breathing tubes (bronchi), which causes increased mucus production and other changes. It is usually caused by bacteria or viruses, can be serious in people who have pulmonary or cardiac diseases, and can lead to pneumonia.

Did you know?

There are actually 60 minerals, 16 vitamins, 12 essential amino acids, and three essential fatty acids that your body needs every day.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library