This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Which remark by a patient indicates passage from orientation to the working phase of a nurse-patient ... (Read 51 times)

luvbio

Which remark by a patient indicates passage from orientation to the working phase of a nurse-patient relationship?

a. I don't have any problems.
  b. It is so difficult for me to talk about problems.
  c. I don't know how it will help to talk to you about my problems.
  d. I want to find a way to deal with my anger without becoming violent.

Question 2

A nurse is talking with a patient, and 5 minutes remain in the session. The patient has been silent most of the session. Another patient comes to the door of the room, interrupts, and says to the nurse, I really need to talk to you. The nurse should:

a. invite the interrupting patient to join in the session with the current patient.
  b. say to the interrupting patient, I am not available to talk with you at the present time.
  c. end the unproductive session with the current patient and spend time with the interrupting patient.
  d. tell the interrupting patient, This session is 5 more minutes; then I will talk with you.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

pangili4

Answer to Question 1

ANS: D
Thinking about a more constructive approach to dealing with anger indicates a readiness to make a behavioral change. Behavioral change is associated with the working phase of the relationship. Denial is often seen in the orientation phase. It is common early in the relationship, before rapport and trust are firmly established, for a patient to express difficulty in talking about problems. Stating skepticism about the effectiveness of the nurse-patient relationship is more typically a reaction during the orientation phase.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: D
When a specific duration for sessions has been set, the nurse must adhere to the schedule. Leaving the first patient would be equivalent to abandonment and would destroy any trust the patient had in the nurse. Adhering to the contract demonstrates that the nurse can be trusted and that the patient and the sessions are important. The incorrect responses preserve the nurse-patient relationship with the silent patient but may seem abrupt to the interrupting patient, abandon the silent patient, or fail to observe the contract with the silent patient.

luvbio

Reply 2 on: Jul 19, 2018
Wow, this really help

epscape

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

Malaria was not eliminated in the United States until 1951. The term eliminated means that no new cases arise in a country for 3 years.

Did you know?

There are more nerve cells in one human brain than there are stars in the Milky Way.

Did you know?

Cytomegalovirus affects nearly the same amount of newborns every year as Down syndrome.

Did you know?

No drugs are available to relieve parathyroid disease. Parathyroid disease is caused by a parathyroid tumor, and it needs to be removed by surgery.

Did you know?

Blastomycosis is often misdiagnosed, resulting in tragic outcomes. It is caused by a fungus living in moist soil, in wooded areas of the United States and Canada. If inhaled, the fungus can cause mild breathing problems that may worsen and cause serious illness and even death.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library