Author Question: Which remark by a patient indicates movement from orientation to the working phase of a ... (Read 49 times)

jhjkgdfhk

Which remark by a patient indicates movement from orientation to the working phase of a nurse-patient relationship?

a. I don't have any problems.
  b. It is so difficult for me to talk about problems.
  c. I don't know how talking about things twice a week can help.
  d. I want to find ways to deal with my anger without blowing up.

Question 2

A widow, aged 72 years, lives alone and is visited weekly by her son. She takes digoxin, hydrochlorothiazide, and an antihypertensive drug. She also has a prescription for diazepam (Valium) as needed for moderate to severe anxiety.

When the son visited today, he found his mother confused. Her speech was thick and slurred and she had an unsteady gait. She was taken to the emergency department, and hospital admission followed. The nurse assessed the patient as having several cognitive problems, including memory and attention deficits and fluctuating levels of orientation. The nurse confirms that the patient's symptoms developed over a 2-day period. The patient's symptoms are most characteristic of: a. delirium.
  b. dementia.
  c. amnestic syndrome.
  d. Alzheimer's disease.

irishcancer18

Answer to Question 1

D
Thinking about a more constructive approach to dealing with anger indicates a readiness to make a behavioral change. Behavioral change is associated with the working phase of the relationship. Denial or avoidance are often seen in the orientation phase.

Answer to Question 2

A
Delirium is characterized by an abrupt onset of fluctuating levels of awareness, clouded and/or fluctuating consciousness, perceptual disturbances, and disturbed memory and orientation. The onset of dementia or Alzheimer's disease, a type of dementia, is more insidious. Amnestic syndrome involves memory impairment without other cognitive problems.