This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The priority assessment immediately after birth is to a. Assess infant-parent interactions. b. ... (Read 19 times)

erika

The priority assessment immediately after birth is to

a. Assess infant-parent interactions.
  b. Promote parent-newborn physical contact.
  c. Open the airway.
  d. Assess gestational age.

Question 2

The nurse knows that the mother of a newborn understands associated health risks to her baby when she states

a. I need to moisten the umbilical cord every hour during the day until the cord falls off.
  b. I need to remind anyone who wants to hold the baby to wash their hands.
  c. I need to leave the blankets off the baby to prevent smothering.
  d. I can throw away the bulb syringe now because my baby is breathing on her own.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tsternbergh47

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The most extreme physiologic change occurs when the newborn leaves the in utero circulation and develops independent respiratory functioning. Direct nursing care includes maintaining an open airway, stabilizing and maintaining body temperature, and protecting the newborn from infection. After immediate physical evaluation and application of identification bracelets, the nurse promotes the parents' and newborn's need for close physical contact. Following a comprehensive physical assessment, the nurse assesses gestational age and interactions between infant and parents.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Prevention of infection is a major concern in the care of the newborn. Good handwashing technique is the most important factor in protecting the newborn from infection. The umbilical stump should be kept clean and dry. Newborns are susceptible to heat loss and cold stress. Place the new born directly on the mother's abdomen, and cover him or her in warm blankets, making sure to keep the head well covered, or placed unclothed in an infant warmer with a temperature probe in place. Removal of nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal secretions remains a priority of care to maintain a patent airway.

erika

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Thanks for the timely response, appreciate it

ghepp

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Great answer, keep it coming :)

Did you know?

The strongest synthetic topical retinoid drug available, tazarotene, is used to treat sun-damaged skin, acne, and psoriasis.

Did you know?

Cutaneous mucormycosis is a rare fungal infection that has been fatal in at least 29% of cases, and in as many as 83% of cases, depending on the patient's health prior to infection. It has occurred often after natural disasters such as tornados, and early treatment is essential.

Did you know?

Many supplement containers do not even contain what their labels say. There are many documented reports of products containing much less, or more, that what is listed on their labels. They may also contain undisclosed prescription drugs and even contaminants.

Did you know?

Despite claims by manufacturers, the supplement known as Ginkgo biloba was shown in a study of more than 3,000 participants to be ineffective in reducing development of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in older people.

Did you know?

ACTH levels are normally highest in the early morning (between 6 and 8 A.M.) and lowest in the evening (between 6 and 11 P.M.). Therefore, a doctor who suspects abnormal levels looks for low ACTH in the morning and high ACTH in the evening.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library