This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The priority assessment immediately after birth is to a. Assess infant-parent interactions. b. ... (Read 21 times)

erika

The priority assessment immediately after birth is to

a. Assess infant-parent interactions.
  b. Promote parent-newborn physical contact.
  c. Open the airway.
  d. Assess gestational age.

Question 2

The nurse knows that the mother of a newborn understands associated health risks to her baby when she states

a. I need to moisten the umbilical cord every hour during the day until the cord falls off.
  b. I need to remind anyone who wants to hold the baby to wash their hands.
  c. I need to leave the blankets off the baby to prevent smothering.
  d. I can throw away the bulb syringe now because my baby is breathing on her own.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

tsternbergh47

Answer to Question 1

ANS: C
The most extreme physiologic change occurs when the newborn leaves the in utero circulation and develops independent respiratory functioning. Direct nursing care includes maintaining an open airway, stabilizing and maintaining body temperature, and protecting the newborn from infection. After immediate physical evaluation and application of identification bracelets, the nurse promotes the parents' and newborn's need for close physical contact. Following a comprehensive physical assessment, the nurse assesses gestational age and interactions between infant and parents.

Answer to Question 2

ANS: B
Prevention of infection is a major concern in the care of the newborn. Good handwashing technique is the most important factor in protecting the newborn from infection. The umbilical stump should be kept clean and dry. Newborns are susceptible to heat loss and cold stress. Place the new born directly on the mother's abdomen, and cover him or her in warm blankets, making sure to keep the head well covered, or placed unclothed in an infant warmer with a temperature probe in place. Removal of nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal secretions remains a priority of care to maintain a patent airway.

erika

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

Dnite

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
:D TYSM

Did you know?

The first successful kidney transplant was performed in 1954 and occurred in Boston. A kidney from an identical twin was transplanted into his dying brother's body and was not rejected because it did not appear foreign to his body.

Did you know?

Although not all of the following muscle groups are commonly used, intramuscular injections may be given into the abdominals, biceps, calves, deltoids, gluteals, laterals, pectorals, quadriceps, trapezoids, and triceps.

Did you know?

Oxytocin is recommended only for pregnancies that have a medical reason for inducing labor (such as eclampsia) and is not recommended for elective procedures or for making the birthing process more convenient.

Did you know?

The B-complex vitamins and vitamin C are not stored in the body and must be replaced each day.

Did you know?

Though Candida and Aspergillus species are the most common fungal pathogens causing invasive fungal disease in the immunocompromised, infections due to previously uncommon hyaline and dematiaceous filamentous fungi are occurring more often today. Rare fungal infections, once accurately diagnosed, may require surgical debridement, immunotherapy, and newer antifungals used singly or in combination with older antifungals, on a case-by-case basis.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library