This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: A client is diagnosed with a small lipoma on his arm and is being discharged from the clinic. The ... (Read 15 times)

AEWBW

A client is diagnosed with a small lipoma on his arm and is being discharged from the clinic. The client says, I have a tumor, but I am not being treated with anything. I don't understand. How should the nurse respond?

1. I am supposed to make an appointment for you to see the oncologist who will recommend treatment.
  2. Lipomas are benign and usually do not require treatment.
  3. Lipomas grow slowly and are not cancerous.
  4. Lipomas do not metastasize and are not cancer.
  5. The physician will consult with a surgeon and will contact you later.

Question 2

A client with pancreatic cancer is receiving chemotherapy even though prognosis is grim. How does the nurse explain the rationale for this treatment?

1. It is a long shot, but maybe the chemotherapy will cure him.
  2. Sometimes the chemotherapy can reduce the size of the tumor.
  3. We just hate to give up on him. He is such a nice man.
  4. Chemotherapy can sometimes reduce the pain.
  5. Hopefully the chemotherapy will improve his quality of life.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

leeeep

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 2,3,4
Rationale 1: There is no indication for seeing an oncologist.
Rationale 2: A lipoma is a fatty tumor and is benign. They do not require treatment unless they are positioned where they are easily irritated or injured. If so, simple removal generally suffices.
Rationale 3: Lipomas are benign and grow slowly.
Rationale 4: Lipomas are benign and therefore do not metastasize.
Rationale 5: There is no reason for a surgical consultation.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 2,4,5
Rationale 1: If the client has a grim prognosis related to pancreatic cancer, it is not ethical to give the family false hope.
Rationale 2: Chemotherapy is sometimes given to reduce tumor size and help to reduce problems associated with the pressure the tumor is exerting on adjacent structures.
Rationale 3: Use of the term give up on him is not therapeutic. It may confuse the family when it comes time to discontinue the chemotherapy.
Rationale 4: Pain reduction is a common reason for administering chemotherapy to a client with a poor prognosis.
Rationale 5: The reason palliative chemotherapy is administered is to improve the client's quality of life.

AEWBW

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

jamesnevil303

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Gracias!

Did you know?

Egg cells are about the size of a grain of sand. They are formed inside of a female's ovaries before she is even born.

Did you know?

According to research, pregnant women tend to eat more if carrying a baby boy. Male fetuses may secrete a chemical that stimulates their mothers to step up her energy intake.

Did you know?

As the western states of America were settled, pioneers often had to drink rancid water from ponds and other sources. This often resulted in chronic diarrhea, causing many cases of dehydration and death that could have been avoided if clean water had been available.

Did you know?

Cyanide works by making the human body unable to use oxygen.

Did you know?

In ancient Rome, many of the richer people in the population had lead-induced gout. The reason for this is unclear. Lead poisoning has also been linked to madness.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library