This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: The nurse is teaching a client about tamoxifen therapy in the treatment of breast cancer. The nurse ... (Read 51 times)

stevenposner

The nurse is teaching a client about tamoxifen therapy in the treatment of breast cancer. The nurse tells the client that the total length of endocrine therapy is ______ years.

Standard Text: Record your answer rounding to the nearest whole number.
  Fill in the blank with the appropriate word.

Question 2

The nurse knows that client education on drug interactions with doxorubicin has been successful when the client states:

1. I can take acetaminophen if I get a fever.
  2. I can take my Celebrex for my arthritis.
  3. I can take ibuprofen for my back pain.
  4. I can take an aspirin for a headache.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

fromAlphatoOmega22

Answer to Question 1

Correct Answer: 5

Rationale: The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) recommends aromatase inhibitor therapy with exemestane (Aromasin) as an option for all postmenopausal women with ER-positive breast cancer. Aromatase inhibitors can be started as primary therapy, or instituted after the completion of 2 to 3 years of tamoxifen therapy. For most patients, the total length of endocrine therapy (tamoxifen plus aromatase inhibitor) is 5 years.

Global Rationale: The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) recommends aromatase inhibitor therapy with exemestane (Aromasin) as an option for all postmenopausal women with ER-positive breast cancer. Aromatase inhibitors can be started as primary therapy, or instituted after the completion of 2 to 3 years of tamoxifen therapy. For most patients, the total length of endocrine therapy (tamoxifen plus aromatase inhibitor) is 5 years.

Answer to Question 2

Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: Acetaminophen is appropriate to take, as it doesn't increase the risk of bleeding.
Rationale 2: Celebrex can cause bleeding when taken with doxorubicin due to its adverse effect of thrombocytopenia.
Rationale 3: Ibuprofen can cause bleeding when taken with doxorubicin due to its adverse effect of thrombocytopenia.
Rationale 4: Aspirin can cause bleeding when taken with doxorubicin due to its adverse effect of thrombocytopenia.
Global Rationale: Severe myelosuppression may occur with doxorubicin so medication that may increase bleeding (such as Celebrex, ibuprofen, and aspirin) should be avoided.

stevenposner

Reply 2 on: Jul 23, 2018
Excellent

okolip

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Wow, this really help

Did you know?

Throughout history, plants containing cardiac steroids have been used as heart drugs and as poisons (e.g., in arrows used in combat), emetics, and diuretics.

Did you know?

The Food and Drug Administration has approved Risperdal, an adult antipsychotic drug, for the symptomatic treatment of irritability in children and adolescents with autism. The approval is the first for the use of a drug to treat behaviors associated with autism in children. These behaviors are included under the general heading of irritability and include aggression, deliberate self-injury, and temper tantrums.

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

Though the United States has largely rejected the metric system, it is used for currency, as in 100 pennies = 1 dollar. Previously, the British currency system was used, with measurements such as 12 pence to the shilling, and 20 shillings to the pound.

Did you know?

It is widely believed that giving a daily oral dose of aspirin to heart attack patients improves their chances of survival because the aspirin blocks the formation of new blood clots.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library