This topic contains a solution. Click here to go to the answer

Author Question: Calculate GW's caloric and protein needs. ... (Read 24 times)

cool

Calculate GW's caloric and protein needs.

Question 2

Are there any supplements CJ could add to his diet to help with both conditions, as 3 fatty acids and antioxidants? Explain how they would help.

Related Topics

Need homework help now?

Ask unlimited questions for free

Ask a Question
Marked as best answer by a Subject Expert

ky860224

Answer to Question 1

BEE = 66 + 13.7  wt + 5  ht - 6.8  age
= 66 + 13.7  56.8 + 5  170  6.8  75
= 66 + 778 + 850  510
= 1118

Considering he is now down to 125, needs to gain weight, has surgery to recover from, chemotherapy, and another surgery down the road, I would use a stress factor of 1.5 . However, from the interview I would conclude his caloric and protein requirements to be unrealistic to reach with po feedings. The realistic approach would be to get GW to eat as much as possible of a high-caloric, high-protein diet. I would encourage between-meal snacks with a formula high in antioxidants, 3 fatty acids, and arginine.

Answer to Question 2

Liquid supplements with and between meals would be ideal for increasing nutrients and would be easy to swallow between breaths. To help lower inflammation, 3 fatty acids and antioxidants added to his diet, or using a liquid supplement that already contained them, would be appropriate to reduce inflammation and counteract free radicals produced by COPD and the inflammation from surgery.

cool

Reply 2 on: Aug 2, 2018
YES! Correct, THANKS for helping me on my review

FergA

Reply 3 on: Yesterday
Excellent

Did you know?

In most cases, kidneys can recover from almost complete loss of function, such as in acute kidney (renal) failure.

Did you know?

Amphetamine poisoning can cause intravascular coagulation, circulatory collapse, rhabdomyolysis, ischemic colitis, acute psychosis, hyperthermia, respiratory distress syndrome, and pericarditis.

Did you know?

IgA antibodies protect body surfaces exposed to outside foreign substances. IgG antibodies are found in all body fluids. IgM antibodies are the first type of antibody made in response to an infection. IgE antibody levels are often high in people with allergies. IgD antibodies are found in tissues lining the abdomen and chest.

Did you know?

More than 2,500 barbiturates have been synthesized. At the height of their popularity, about 50 were marketed for human use.

Did you know?

Fatal fungal infections may be able to resist newer antifungal drugs. Globally, fungal infections are often fatal due to the lack of access to multiple antifungals, which may be required to be utilized in combination. Single antifungals may not be enough to stop a fungal infection from causing the death of a patient.

For a complete list of videos, visit our video library